CAR STALLED-RED ENGINE COOLANT LIGHT(

1994 Pontiac Grand Am

Engine Cooling problem
1994 Pontiac Grand Am 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 155000 miles

My Engine Coolant light went on today (red thermometer, not low coolant) and my car stalled but the temperature gage wasn't showing overheating. I was going about 45 up a hill after driving 20 minutes and the car was on heating up 10 minutes. It has never done this before in 10 years that I had the car. If my car was over heating why was the gage at a normal temperature. I did have a low gas tank at the time. It was just about on Empty (2 gallons left). I did blow a head gasket about 3 years ago and at that time the temperature gage was telling me that the car was overheating. Eventhough I there is a possibility of having a defective temperatur gage, I don't think this is the case. Any information would be helpful.
Kerryk

Welcome to the forum, If I suspect an engine coolant issue, I check the coolant level, in radiator and overflow bottle, where applicable. Don't remove radiator cap from hot radiator. If the coolant flow is stopped somehow, the overflow bottle usually fills up in a hurry. The radiator fan should be running if engine is hot? On some make and models, if the ac is turned on, the fan turns on. If the coolant temp sensor is unplugged, the fan will run.

Check for trouble codes. How long since a tune-up?