MY CAR SMELLS OF GASOLINE

2007 Pontiac G5

Smells problem
2007 Pontiac G5 4 cyl Automatic 65000 miles

My car has been smelling like gasoline for a while now. It smells even when it is not running but I have not noticed any leaks. I guess the smell is getting pretty strong becasue when people walk by my car in the parking lot they are smelling it.

Also, just recently it started having trouble starting up. I have to hold the key turned over for about 5-10 seconds for it to start up. Although if it has been driven recently it fires right up.
Kelly0508

Gasoline smell -have the evaporative control system checked-could be the charcoal canister loaded with fuel

Would this cause the car to have problems starting as well?

Kelly0508
No -could be running rich due to the following: 1. Excessive fuel pressure can be cause by restricted fuel return line or defective fuel pressure regulator.
2. Defective Oxygen Sensors.
3. Leaking injectors and fuel pressure regulator.
4. Coolant temperature sensor out of calibration.
5. Restricted air intake system.

Or fuel line leaking and as stated earlier on the evaporative control system leaking or the charcoal canister