HEADLAMP DOOR MODULE AND MOTORS

2002 Pontiac Firebird

2002 Pontiac Firebird 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 63000 miles

Problem: turn off headlamps, doors close but both door motors continue to run for approx 6 seconds. Once the doors are closed is when the loud obnoxiuos noise starts and continues for the 6 seconds. It is so loud that vibrations are felt in the car as you are sitting in it. You can also hear it up to 50 feet away. The motors are grinding internally because they keep running after the doors have closed. After studying the wiring schematic and without further troubleshooting I believe the problem is a defective door module. Your thoughts?
Tony Keller, kingman, AZ
Ajkellerusmcvma311

Ok with what I have found and what you checked out and info given that is the most logical problem.

Racefan966
Any more troubleshooting you recomend before I throw a new door module at it? Thanks. Ajk

Ajkellerusmcvma311
Ok there is one test you can do to make sure the headlight switch is not still sending the signal that the lights are still on. Use a test light or multi meter and the yellow wire at the module make sure that when you turn the lights off that voltage is no longer there.
Then check the motor down signals that is the green wire left and the blue wire for the right and make sure that power is being sent the whole time the lights try to continue to go down. The module is also the timer so if power is not coming from the headlight switch while the doors are still trying to go down and the yet the green and the blue wire continue to send power then the module should be your problem if the yellow wire is also sending power then we may need to look at the headlight switch. Get back to me

Racefan966
Have not had time to troubleshoot yet, can you tell me the location of the module in the vehicle? My manual does not give a location. Thanks, Tony

Ajkellerusmcvma311
It say's it is on the right side of the engine compartment. If you don't find it let me know I will try to find a pic.

Racefan966
Well the car was wrecked a week ago and we are going to total it. Thanks for your replies to my questions anyway. Its a shame we did not get to troubleshoot and fix this problem, it wouda been good for the Kid! At least he was not hurt in the accident. Thanks Tony

Ajkellerusmcvma311
I had the same problem with my 2002 Firebird and found out that the motors had nylon gears that stripped over time. I found a vendor online that produced and sells brass replacement gears, installed them, and problem solved.

http://www.2carpros.com/articles/mitchell1eautorepair-car-repair-manuals

OldcamaroNut
What happenes when on power on yellow when off but there is power on both wires at motor all the time but door doesnt go up or down

Billmill5050
Door wires down are the dk green (lt side) and the dk blue (rt side).

Racefan966