FORMULA350 HIGH IDLE RP

1989 Pontiac Firebird

1989 Pontiac Firebird V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 140000 miles

Hi I just bought a 1989 firebird with 140,000 when I herd it the first time sounded great, drove it home then the problems started to kick in, when I let off the gas seems like it would hesitate a little bit, but it wouldnt stall, when I parked it at home I notcied it would idle at 1000rpm and would jump a little, also with it running and sitting I started to notice a smell of gas, the car wont stall, also it has been sitting for a few years, I brought it over to my buddys house to give it a tune up got sparkplugs, distrubitor, fuel filter, oil filter, air filter, and pcv. We didnt install any of it yet because we wanted to see what the problem was we hooked it up to a prlbem reader(idk wwat its call) got error code 13, 22, 33 he tinkered with it a little and got it down to 500rpm at idle and smelled a little less of gas. He told me to go get a throttle postition sensor and a idle air controll motor. And then do the tune up at the same time and he said it shuold be good. Im basicly asking for any second opinions. Is that a good start or any other ideas? Ty for the help !
Bigchadd

Clean out the idle air control valve and test the throttle position sensor.

Hey I did the tune up cleaned everything, and it sounds alot better, I forgot to mention the car was sitting for 2 years. I changed fuel filter oil filter cap and rotor plugs and wires and the pcv and air filter. I used thorttole body cleaner and clean it out as much as I cud. Then I went down the road and tryed to burn out all that grime. When I got back it as ok but the rpms kept going up and down. I dont know what else to do to clean it up any more segjestions. I dont know where the idle air controll valve is. So I didnt clean it

Bigchadd
The idle air control valve is on the throttle body it looks like this

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/12900_iac_idle_air_control_motor_7.jpg

I found the idle ai controll and on the inside of it it looks clean just the motor looks a little dirty, I whiped it off not any serious dirt. But on it there are little holes and you can set it to what you want it as set almost all the way twards the iac so I left it like that im not sure what it does im not to car smart so I left it, im going to the stop to pic up a throttle position sensor to see if that works, any other ideas?

Bigchadd