CAR TURNS OFF WHILE DRIVING, RESTARTS NO PROBLEM

Pontiac Bonneville

1997 pontiac bonneville; 150,000 miles - increasingly often, my car will randomly turn off while driving. It generally doesn't happen while I am pressing and accellerating. It's happened once coming to a short stop, a few times while idling at lights, and most commonly while driving at a steady pace, pressing the gas but not increasing speed.

when it shuts off (dies) I put it in neutral and restart it without any problem what so ever. If I press the gas immediately afterwards, it makes a sound similar to something in a metal can being shaken around.

the car doesn't have any major issues, except it needs a new serpentine belt. Could this be related to that?
Tomsim

Kscott84
I have a 1994 Bonneville SE and I have noticed that after I have been driving the car for a while and its good and warmed up, I start to lose my oil pressure, eventually when I come to a stop, ( especially if it is slightly abrupt) I lose all oil pressure and my car will die. I then turn everything off and it will start up again with no problems. But my oil pressure gauge stays on the low side. When I start my car and its cold, my oil pressure is fine. But declines over a small period of time. Any ideas?

Marisa'sBonneville