ROTTED PIPE

1998 Plymouth Voyager

Engine Cooling problem
1998 Plymouth Voyager 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 105, 00 miles

antifreeze poured out of car and car started to overheat. My husband found a rotted pipe that connects the cooling system to the rear heater core and he can get a new one at the dealer but it is impossible to get the old connected pipes off in one piece. Does he have to remove the heat shield? Can you give us any advice? Since it is so tight he is unsure how if he gets the old ones off how he would have room to get the new ones in. Any help and or diagrams would be greatly appreciated
Lorrym

I had this problem. The pipes were easy to remove with just a few screws holding them to the frame and hose clamps leading to the cabin. The problem was replacing them economically. This is a dealer item, and I couldn't see spending over $100 for a couple of steel tubes. I sawed them off at the point where they were still good and replaced with heater hose. Make sure the hose is well supported with zip ties or other improvised hangers.

Jalopypapa