CAR DIES

1988 Plymouth Reliant

1988 Plymouth Reliant 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 118248 miles

My car dies out of nowhere. I have replaced a bad fuel injector and also the fuel filter, my battery and altinator is fine. I do have two bad motor mounts and I was wondering if the motor may be shifting, as it only dies after turning, and hitting something to cause it to die. I am at my witts end and this is our only car and can't afford to buy a new one. Please HELP!
Caralyn

Yes, bad motor mount could cause engine to die.

When motor mounts fail, one of several things can happen. If the rubber separates or delaminates from the steel, the mount can break. The design of the mount usually prevents the engine from falling out of the car, but it cannot keep the engine from twisting or rocking when your vehicle accelerates or is under load. This can produce thumping and rattling noises as well as overstress components such as radiator and heater hoses, wiring connectors and the exhaust system.. Drive belts or pulleys may also be forced to rub against other components if clearances are tight.
A broken or loose motor mount in a front-wheel drive application can be even more serious because it may allow engine movements that interfere with the throttle or shift linkage. Excessive fore and aft rocking of a transverse-mounted engine can also lead to exhaust leaks where the head pipe joins the manifold or cause the head pipe itself to fail. If the broken mount is an end mount, it may also contribute to a torque steer condition and cause accelerated wear or separation of the inner CV joints on one or both half shafts
One Way to check mounts is to put the transmission into drive and lightly load the engine while keeping your other foot on the brakes. Excessive engine movement may indicate loose or broken mounts that need to be replaced.
Other than that, have the fuel pressure checked.

Mathiaso