LASER RS TURBO

1990 Plymouth Other

My question is gas mileage. I just bought this vehicle roughly two weeks ago. It runs great. No vibrations of any type. On mainly highway driving my gas mileage is crap. I can drive 50 miles and eat up a 1/4 tank of gas. I feel the mileage should be better then that. I'm thinking of replacing the air filter and sparkplugs. Although it runs smoothly, I can't think of anything else to do. Does anyone else have ideas of what else I can do? Sorry the long drawn out question, just wanted to explain what was happening.

thanks in advance to anyone for their help.
Wolfrat1

It is an older car, your not going to get the factory mileage it had in 1990, but 50 miles and 1/4 tank of gas is excessive. Are you sure the gas gauge is operating correctly. A good start would be a tune up, keep tires inflated to specs.

Stratus98
Thanks for the reply. The gas gauge appears to be working correctly. Although, after I fill the tank, the gauge does move to the full side very slowly. I don't know if this is a factory design function or what. Would the function of the turbo take away from the gas mileage? This is the first car that i've owned that had a turbo. Still trying to figure it out. Also would using synthetic oil increase mileage or just start leaks?

Wolfrat1
With the turbo yea your going to lose some gas mileage. But not like your talking, your car I believe requires a higher grade gas as most turbod vehicles do. Just make sure you have a new air filter in the oil is clean, change the plugs and wires. See what happens from there.

Stratus98
Thank you for your help. I'm going to change the plugs and go with the bosch 4 point platinums. Probably a k & n air filter if I can find one in a g.M. Town. Don't know what wires yet. I have been using premium fuel. I will also switch to a synthetic oil.

Wolfrat1
Be careful with plugs, your car may or may not like those. I worked on an srt-4 that had misfire issues because he had a 4 tip platinum plug, a Iridium plug is a good choice, and is what I used to fix his misfire issures

Stratus98
So far they seem to be working pretty good. Gas mileage did improve quite a bit. Went through an act of congress to change the air filter. That was a pain. I do have one more question. When I accelerate, I notice a jerking or chugging feeling. It did this before I changed plugs. On a slow acceleration I don't notice it. But when I press the accelerator quickly I notice it almost everytime. Could this have something to do with the turbo or some other component? As I said before, this is my first time owning a turbo equipped car. With the exception of that, the car run great.

Wolfrat1
You might be experiencing a little bit of turbo lag

Stratus98