FROZEN BRAKE CALIPER

1996 Plymouth Neon

Brakes problem
1996 Plymouth Neon Two Wheel Drive Manual 82000 miles

I replaced the passanger side brake calliper 4 times(3 times with a new one from autozone and one time with a used one from a junk yard) and it's still get frozen from time to time.I also replaced the rotor and brake pads.
Coul be a problem with a master cylinder?
Thank you!
Stevesoock

Hi: If I had to guess, the rubber brake hose going to that caliper is bad. I have seen situations that they allow fluid to go one direction (to caliper) but internally they have broken doen and don't allow the fluid to return. That would be my first guess. Other than that, the proportioning valve is responsible for allowing different levels of pressure to go to the front and rear. Something may have happened there, but they rarely go bad. As far as the master cylender, it wouldn't cause a problem to only one wheel.

Let me know what you find.

We talk about collapsed hoses all the time but I have NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, EVER seen a hose block fluid flow, ... Until last year when I found two in two weeks! One was on my Grand Voyager that was sitting all winter. The other was on a student's '99 Neon.

The clue is when the brake is locked, it will release when you open the bleeder screw. The problem is rust buildup inside the metal bracket in the middle of the hose. Use a channel lock pliers to peel the crimp open.

When the rust pinches the hose, pedal pressure can easily force fluid to the caliper but the caliper can't push the fluid back.