NO HEAT

1998 Plymouth Breeze

Heater problem
1998 Plymouth Breeze 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 92000 miles

I suddenly lost my heat on my 2.4L Breeze. I have coolant. The engine temp seems to be fine. I noticed the temp gauge not gradually increasing from cold like usual but suddenly popping up to a normal range after 5-7 mins. It seems to stay at a good temp. The fans kick on and appear to stay on.
I'm not seeing the overflow go down after it is warmed up. I replaced the thermostat.
If this is a heater core, is it a big job?
Kap180

Hello –

Did you replace your thermostat because you had no heat or prior to that and now you have no heat after you replaced it?

Are your heater hoses hot going into and coming out of your firewall?

Thanks for the donation

Please let us know if what the final fix was for your car so we can better assist others. Thanks!

Find a car repair manual for your car repair questions.

ImpalaSS
I replaced the thermostat because I had no heat. I will check the hoses to the heater core.

Kap180
Hello –

When you replaced the thermostat because you had no heat was the car heating up to normal or staying pretty cold engine temperature wise?

Also, when you removed the old thermostat – was it stuck open or defective in some way?

Thanks for the donation

ImpalaSS
The car was heating up normally before I replaced the thermostat- just no heat. The old thermostat seemed fine. There is evidence of rust in the system.
I've owned the car for a year and a half and have never flushed the system. Is there a way to flush the heater core to free any clogs?

Kap180
The car is now overheating on a short run but had not run hot before I replaced the thermostat even though I had run it for a half hour. I didn't have heat during that trip. Why could this occur?
First- no heat, temp good on 30 mile trip.
Replace thermostat, still no heat but car overheating.

Kap180
Hello –

Did you ever get a chance to check the heater hose going into the firewall and the one coming out? If one is hot and the other not?

Right now you have air in the system. I am almost 99% sure that is why your temp is going up. It is hard to get all the air out. But probably the thermostat isn’t opening because the air though hot isn’t as hot as the water there for it is not open. You must get the air out.

Also, change your radiator cap.

Next, you can go to Auto Zone around the Prestone/radiator cap section they have kits you can purchase to hook up to your heater hoses to flush your engine, radiator and heater core. These work great. Then you drain all the pure water out and then go back with a 50/50 mix of the green Prestone. Dex-Cool has had many problems building up slim that clog heater cores and radiators. I have been told it also deteriorates gaskets over time.

Looks like you may have some recalls on your vehicle. The dealer may fix these for free. Please contact the dealer service department, give them the VIN number of your car and have them check on these to see if they apply to you.

If you find you do need to replace the heater core let me know and I will attach the info I have on how to do this. It is lengthy so just let me know.

Thanks for the donation

ImpalaSS