IGNITION RESISTOR

1969 Plymouth Barracuda

1969 Plymouth Barracuda V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic

why am I burning through ignition resistors
Jack1983

Is ignition stock? You have a four prong double resistor? Which is burning out top or bottom?

Docfixit
I have a two prong and the whole things is burning up (i was told by advanced auto that the resister was for the ignition had to take the old one in to ask because I didnt know and thats what they told me it was but the location is right in front of of the driver inside the engine compartment

Jack1983
That is the ignition resistor it drops voltage to coil to @ 8V to keep points from burning up. Is system stock? Have you gone with diffenent coil? Electronic dist?

Docfixit
Knowledge of engine repair is limited I have no idea what you just asked I know the system is similar to what came in the car when it was sold other then that I havent a clue

Jack1983
O.K. Have you had car very long? Or did problem start up soon after purchace? Do you have a volt meter? If yes measure voltage to Old School name Ballest resistor in and out. Look at coil does it say ues with external resistor on it? Can you pop dist cap and visually describe what tou see?

Docfixit
Problems started soon after I purshased the car back in april the problems stared small then slowly progressed to this I ve already preplaced
spark plugs
alternator
battery
possitive batter cable
slowly replacing things wont be able to remove the dist cap till tomorrow and sorry I dont have a volt meter

Jack1983
With new ballast how long will it run? Does it run well?

Docfixit
I dont know the car wont even start because as soon as I try to to I burn right through them

Jack1983
O.K. There is a direct short in circuit to coil. On coli there is a Neg terminal --- and a positive terminal +. Check wire to positive side is insulation frayed? Remove wire with new ballast try and start if no burning of ballast the coil is faulty internal short.

Docfixit
Gonna have to break it down barney style for me cause I am confused

Jack1983