TIMING SET-UP

1993 Plymouth Acclaim

1993 Plymouth Acclaim 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 167251 miles

Had engine (2.5 SOHC) apart down to pistons out, but not the auxillery shaft nor the balancer shafts.
On reassembly, I get the crank and aux pulleys lined up by timing marks, cam shaft is set as prescribed and the timing notch on the flywheel is at zero on TDC, compression stroke. However, the rotor is a little past midway between #4 and #2 spark plug wire terminals, favoring #2.
Any suggestion on how to get the rotor lined up with # ! Terminal would be greatly appreciated ! 10Q, Cliff
Cliff Descloux

Did you put no.1 piston on its compression stroke/TDC if not could be 180deg out-

Yes it is on TDC compression. Rotor is more like 250* off

Cliff Descloux
Pull out the distributor and restab it making sure the rotor is pointing no.1 cap tower while you hold it in place pointing to the no.1 cap tower position

I did try to reposition the rotor by pulling the distributor body out but the distrib. Is driven by the aux pulley shaft. Lining the rotor up with no. 1 terminal puts the timing mark on the aux pulley way off.

Cliff Descloux
If the distributor won't set properly with the rotor not pointing to no.1 You need to redo the valve timing all over again-