ENGINE SHUTTING OFF

1993 Plymouth Acclaim

1993 Plymouth Acclaim 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 80000 miles

93 acclaim 2.5 4cyl. This car runs fine, without any notice will shut off, no sputtering, or lights of anykind come on, check the oil, full on the dipstick, let it set for a few minutes. Will start and run for x amount of time? Sometimes will run for days without issues, sometimes this will happen 4 times in a 30 mile stretch. Is there some kind of " engine stop relay" that could be giving me these fits?

Rokotako

I would check the auto shutdown relay next time this happens. It may be that it is shutting off and will shut the car down. Use the pic below for the location of it. Let me know if you have a digital multi meter and I will get the test procedure for you.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/249564_Graphic_163.jpg

Racefan966
Yes, I do have a multimeter. Test procedures would be appreciated!

Rokotako
Ok so what you do is first make sure you have power going to the relay check the red wire with the white stripe going to that relay. Now if you have power to it then check the red wire with the white stripe at the fuel pump relay (yes same color wire and yes the fuel pump relay). Do this with key on engine off. Let me know what you find.

Racefan966
Also, try a new Hall Effect pickup in the distributor.