TINFOIL IN TIMING COVER HOLE

1989 Plymouth Acclaim

1989 Plymouth Acclaim 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 160000 miles

I noticed the rubber timing cover grommet was missing in my car. I doubled up some coil paper and put it over the timing hole opening until I could get another grommet; I got hold of another grommet two to three weeks later, and when I was going to put it in, I saw where the coil paper I had put in was gone. If the coil paper melted somehow, and got into the engine, is there any possible harm it could do to the engine? I am just curious. Thanks.
Median

Hi Median. Boy are you in trouble now, ... Ok, just kidding. The paper probably just blew out. The transmission's torque converter is spinning right below that window and at the very worst, the paper will get shredded by the ring gear on it that the starter motor turns. Other than that, it will just fall harmlessly to the bottom of the housing.

The rubber plug has an extremely important purpose in life. A very tiny ticking noise can be transmitted through the opening to the passenger compartment and that plug blocks most of it. It's strictly for noise, nothing else.

By the way, I strongly agree with one of my former students who said these are the last of the decent cars. They are not full of all kinds of unnecessary, unreliable, expensive computers.