MODELS 106 1.5 DIESEL WONT START

1998 Peugeot Other

1998 Other Peugeot Models 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual 230000 miles

Hi Car-experts,

First thing: great site. With this site, your helping a lott of people.

My problem:

My peugeot 106 1.5 Diesel wont start without a little bit of extra help. The engine runs fine (like a dream), when I can get it to run.

It is a simple car, without much electronics. The diesel pump hasn't got electronics, but is belt-drivin. It hasn't got a pump in the gastank.

glow plugs are replaced
car battery is new
there were air bubbles in the fuelsystem after replacing the fuelfilter, but I can't see any airbubbles anymore.

I found out that there are 2 things I can do to help start the engine in an instance.

1: squeezing the fuel handpump 2, 3 times
2: 3, 4 times " for ignition" will also help

Does anyone know the answer? My dealer isn't able to sort it out.

Thanks a million
TheDutchGuy

Hi there,

I don't have a great deal of info on this engine, but you have given a lot of info so thats great. It will be either a fuel related problem, or a glow problem, first thing to check is glow voltage at cold start up and duration of primary glow, if you place a test light on the rail, check the duration of the primary glow, it should be about 4-5 sec, if not you may have a faulty coolant temp sensor this will be telling the glow system the engine is warm and the grow is not required. Also re bleed the pump as you may have air trapped in the system, start here.

Mhpautos
Many thanks for the very fast reply.

I hope I have the opportunity to test the glow plugs tonight.

How can I re-bleed the fuel pump? It is an Bosch. I don't know which model. Or should I re-bleed it at the fuelfilter?

By the way: I forgot to mention that the " for ignition" light in the dashboard burns for about 3 seconds. No matter if I have just drivin for an hour (and so the engine is warm ; o)).

It's an TUD5 engine. Very, very economical. The fuel prices in Holland are very high.

TheDutchGuy
It looks as if these are a self priming system, just make sure that the fuel system is free from any leaks, you can try re bleeding at the filter, and were the valve clearances checked? And a comp test dome just to make sure there is not a problem there?

Mhpautos
Hi Mark

I will check the fuelsystem for leaks.I hope tomorrow.

I don't know when the valve clearances were checked the last time. I have got the car for about 4 months. I will let my dealer sort that out if I can't find the problem myself.

You mean, a compression test of the engine' cylinders? I will let my dealer sort this out to if I can't find the problem myself.

I will post back here, when I have got some more information about the problem. Maybe even the solution.

Thanks for your answers Mark. Really helps me narrow down the possibilities.

TheDutchGuy
Hi,

Yesterday the car was at the garage: No leaks in the fuelsystem
No air in the fuelsystem
Pumps were working fine
Glow plugs got enough voltage and amperage (is this even a word in english?)

I have cleaned the metal caps at the wiring-ends located at the transmission
The only thing I noticed, a couple off wiring-ends are rusted/corroded within the wire
I have pulled the temperaturesensor of the engine out. The glow plugs (as expected) glowed and glowed. I waited 10 seconds, then tried to start but the engine didn't run.

I'm going to keep track off the cars starting behaviour and other variables. Maybe then I can determine a red line.

I will post back when I have some new information

TheDutchGuy
Hi there,

I would be looking at a fuel system problem, may be you have an internal pressure leak at the pump causing you have these starting problems, try bleeding at the injector as well just in case there is air trapped in the delivery lines.

Mhpautos
Hi Mark,

The garage sorted the pump out. This was not the problem they said. The pump feeded the engine with enough diesel to start.

But I think I found the red line (so to speak).

The car starts fine when the engine is cold, but when I've drivin for a while and the engine is hot or even warm, it's reluctant to start. I tested it a couple of times and when the engine is hot or warm (I could put my hand on the engine without burning it) then the engine doesn't start. Then I have to glow twice or try to start, wait a couple of second and then it will fire.

I, ve red a story of a man with an Audi with the exact seem sympthoms and there it was caused by a broken engine-coolant sensor. Do you think this makes sence?

Such a sensor isn't expensive, so I think I will gett one on wednesday. Just to rule that out. Maybe it is the solution.I will never know till I try it.

TheDutchGuy
Hi there,

I did say to check the coolant temp sensor in an earlier post, I presumed that that this had been done and was OK, this will affect the starting so get it checked next.

Mhpautos
Hi Mark,

You're wright, you did say that. Sorry.I overlooked that part.

I will get one tomorrow. Hope it helps.

TheDutchGuy
Hi,

Sorry I didn't post back for such a long time, but I was on course.

I had to drive with my peugeot every day to a place 127 kilometers away to take the course. So the car drove 254+ every day, and mostly on the highway. Since I drove on the highway, doing 120+ km/h, the starting problems seem to be gone. The only time it has difficulty starting is with an warm engine. I ordered the temp. Sensor. I think this saterday it wil come. Then I can replace the old one en hopefully. The starting problems will be over.

I'll keep you posted

TheDutchGuy
Page 1 of 2