MODELS BLUE SMOKE

1963 Peugeot Other

1963 Other Peugeot Models 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual

Hello:

I am fixing an old peugeot 404, year 1963, 4 cylinders, 1700 cc. I took apart the engine, change the following items with new ones: pistons, rings, liners, valves (all), spark plugs, carburetor, distributor, spark plug's wire, head gasket, clutch, .
After fixing the engine, putting it back with the car, after several checks of tuning, the engine ran.

Here is the problem that I can't solve: after running for about 5 to 6 minutes, the engine produces a blue smoke, smelling gasoline uncombusted. I check the bottom of spark plugs and find black ashes thicker and thicker if I leave the car running long time. So I start to clean up the plugs and the same thing happens again.

My guess is about the valves, but I am not sure. Anyway I don't have any apparatus to checks even the pressure. My only tools are screw drivers, wrenches and a galvanometer.

Could you help me out?

Thank you Sam
Samoela

Does the engine rev up normally or does it struggle to gain rpm's? My first thought is camshaft timimg (one tooth can make a world of difference) or retarded ignition timimg.

James W.
Hi James,

The engine does rev up normally and doesn't struggle to gain rpm's. It's possible that it comes from cameshaft timing because when I took apart the engine, I just put some marks on the timing chain but didn't check correctly the number of teeth. (I relayed to the marks). But it may be possible also that it comes from the retarding or advance timing since I don't have a stroboscope of timing device but just work in high point piston position and adjusting accordingly the distributor.

Should I start checking out the cameshaft timing or the retarding timing? The first point requires to take down again the engine, the second point requires a stroboscope device that I don't have.

Sam

Samoela
I would check the ign timing first, it's easier. If it is retarded timing move the distributor a little at a time with engine running and see what happens. I'll do a little research on the cam timing tomorrow and get back to you. Also, you can't be too far off on the ign. Timing or it would backfire through the intake or wouldn't run at all.

James W.
How's it going. I've done a lot of looking and I haven't been able to find anything, yet, on your cam timing. I'll keep looking. You may have more info than I do.

James W.
Hi,

I tried to turn a bit the distributor and the result was a backfire, really like gun shots. May be I need to use some tune up device. The other thing I have noticed was that when I unplugged each spark wire (engine running) there is no effect with the cylinder # 3, though I am sure it's working (pressure OK, spark plug just like the others).

Do you have any suggestion about the best device to use for distributor timing?

Sam

Samoela
#3 cylinder? You said " pressure OK" did you mean compression? Was the compression the same, or close to, #'s 1- 2 & 4? The reason I'm asking is one unplugged cylinder is 25% of the power and it should shake like a dog pooping briars. As far as a timing light, any autoparts store will have several on display. You can spend any amount you want but, for your use I would recomend low ball price. They all do the same thing just don't have all the bells and whistles.

James W.
I will try to measure each compression as soon as I'll be home. By the way I found on ebay a car manual for peugeot 404 years 1960-1967. I should get it soon and will find out about the cam timing.

Samoela
Now you're cooking. Hear from you soon, Jim

James W.
Hey James,

The cylinders' compression are good: cylinder 1 (135 psi) cylinder 2 (130 psi) cylinder 3 (130 psi) and cylinder 4 (140 psi). The order of firing is 1, 3, 4, and 2.

I also checked out the spark fire, using some simple device for each spark wire: cylinder 2 is OK (low and high rpm), cylinder 1, 3, and 4 spark intermittently at idle revolution, but OK at high rpm, meaning incomplete combustion at idle rpm.

My plan is to buy a timing light device to fix correctly the distributor position. What do you think?

Sam

Samoela
You're on the right track. Are the bushings worn on thr distributor shaft ie. Can you wiggle the rotor back and forth? This will affect your points setting at low rpm, s.

James W.