FUEL SENSOR PROBLEM

2004 Peugeot 307

2004 Peugeot 307

Peugeot 307 SW HDI 2litre

Audible 'beep' sounds. Display says 'fuel filter blocked' and a small icon appears and stays on showing what looks like an engine. If the engine is then kept under load, especially up an incline, another audible 'beep' occurs and the words 'anti pollution fault' are displayed. The engine revs are then limited to approx 2900 RPM max. This situation is temporarily resolved by stopping, turning off the engine for a couple of minutes then restarting. Not always possible. The problem still exists even after the fitting of a new filter. The car has been regularly serviced and neither the garage where the car was purchased nor Peugeot Madrid has been of any help at all. The guy at the garage going as far as to tell us that we had, unfortunately, purchased 'a potato' (Spanish equivalent of a lemon).
Colin.poole

Hich filter did you change? Fuel filter or pollution filter?

Dave H
I keep trying to submit a reply but your website will not allow me in even
with my correct user name and password. Any help please.

Regards

Colin Poole

Colin.poole
The car, it was given a full service a couple of weeks ago. The Anti Pollution Filter was replaced along with the fuel filter. All seemed o.K for while but on the way to hospital the warning beep came with its associated message ( change fuel filter) but the car carried on as normal. And today on the way to Antequera it did the same again and then dissapeared a short time after when the engine was no longer under load. So, I really dont know what the problem is.
Regards

Colin Poole

Colin.poole
Hello Colin.

Firstly are you sure they changed the DPF (diesel particulate filter) or otherwise known as the anti-pollutution filter .. this is an expensive part of the exhaust filtering system !! costing around £1000 in the UK ..?? .. not changed on a service usually as you can understand .. you may be mistaking this for the cabin filter ... ?

The warning you are getting on the dash display regards the DPF ..it's similiar to a catalytic convertor and is clogged up, hence the warning on the dash display and driveability issues .. when the anti pollution light came on! It was simply telling you that the Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) was almost full of soot and the car needed to be driven for 30 miles or so at 40 – 50 mph or above to burn off the accumulated soot and clear the filter. This is not a fault with the car – simply a feature of cars with a DPF. I often get asked why you can’t simply change the filter rather than wasting fuel going for a long drive to clear it. The answer is, you can. The cost is around £1000, which makes that drive look suddenly economical

Diesel Particulate Filters (DPFs)

Particulates, or soot particles are the most visible of the pollutants emitted from the exhaust of a diesel engine, they consist of large carbon particles with other attached and absorbed chemicals. Particulates in addition to being visible are toxic and carcinogenic, and the smaller particle of less than 10 microns (known as PM10s) can penetrate deep into the lungs causing respiratory problems. With the increased use of diesel engines, the increase in air borne particulates is becoming an increasing environmental issue.

These solid emissions can be effectively reduced by filtration of the exhaust. The most effective and practical method is by using a ceramic filter sustrate, usually silicone carbide with microporus walls. This traps the solid particles and allows the gasses to escape through the wall and is vented into the exhaust outlet.
The collected soot builds up within the filter, which will clog and eventually block resulting in a build up of engine back pressure unless it is removed, which is achieved by a process known as regeneration.
Regeneration is achieved by burning the collected soot within the filter, either actively or passively. In an active system a separate, usually electrical, heat source is applied to raise the temperature to a point where the carbon particles are burnt off to produce CO2. In the passive system the heat of the engine exhaust gas is used in conjunction with a special catalytic coating on the filter to achieve the same result

hope this helps. let me know

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/266999_AAA2_366.png

Dave H
Thanks for all your help - the matter appears to have now been partly resolved.

Regards

Colin Poole

Colin.poole
Hello.

Please could you supply information on your partly resolved problem ?

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/266999_AAA2_767.png

Dave H
Since last service at end of last year (2008) problem has only appeared 2 or 3 times - usually on a long run. Then on your suggestion the car was driven for 30 miles or so at 40 – 50 mph or even above if possible to burn off the accumulated soot and clear the filter.

Afterwards the car performed okay.

I cannot warrant spending upwards of £1000 on an aging car to replace parts!

Regards

Colin Poole

Colin.poole
Thank you for your reply .. this may assist others in the same situation ... I hope your fault stay's clear .. it may return, but I agree about spending over a thousand pounds ! this was a bad idea by the manufacturer !! if it does re-occur do the drive all over again !!

thanks again.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/266999_AAA2_775.png

Dave H