O/S/REAR ABS SENSOR FAULT

2003 Peugeot 307

Brakes problem
2003 Peugeot 307 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 70,000 miles

Hi,
I have a 1.6 Rapier model (I have no idea what 4 cyl meant sorry). It was in for a recall on the ABS a few months ago, something to do with water ingress). Well ever since then I have the following problems:

The ABS fault light comes on and off randomly. It isn't speed dependant, sometimes it's as soon as I start the engine. Then when I brake it make these awful rumbly noises like something is hitting my foot under the brake pedal. Again, this randomly happens, occasionally it doesn't do it. The garage told me its a O/S/Rear Sensor Fault but not sure and don't know how to fix it for sure. I have researched on the internet and it seems every Peugeot owner has the exact same problem. All have complained back to Peugeot stating it was after their recall had been done but Peugeot are insisting it's not related to the recall. I do not believe this coincidence! Anyway, is there anything you can suggest as I really can't afford all the replacement parts they're suggesting especially when they're not sure that it'll work. Many thanks for your help in advance! Vicky
Vicky_stevenson

I would start by replacing the O/S/R sensor !

Dave H
If it were as simple as that I wouldn't be asking for advice lol. Two garages have said the diagnostic is showing that fault but neither garage knows exactly how to fix it, whether a new sensor, new wires, new bearings, to shave parts to equal the distance etc etc. They said they don't know unless they pull it apart and keep replacing things until something works. Thanks for your reply though lol.

Vicky_stevenson
I would still start with replacing the sensor !. The ABS is working (this is the buzzing and vibrating you hear/feel). 90% of the time it is a faulty sensor or bad wiring on sensor. You always start with the most common cause of the fault.

Dave H
Thanks, the garage has now done that and still not right. Will keep trying other things. Everything else is now braking on it and MOT is due, looks like it's gotta go : ( Been told it need to go on a Jig or something but we'll see. Thanks anyway.

Vicky_stevenson
The only reason a vehicle would have to go on a jig is if it had been involved in an accident/crash and the frame is bent?

Dave H