FLUCTUATING TEMPERATURE GUAGE

1992 Opel Monza

Engine Cooling problem
1992 Opel Monza 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual 160000 miles

A few months ago I had to replace the radiator due to a radiator leak which could not be repaired. After replacing the radiator I realised that the car is overheating, but the temperature guage never indicated this. It was discovered that the radiator fan failed to switch on. When connected direct to battery the fan is coming on; but when the temperature rises the fan fails to come on. After replacing the fan switch with a pirate part the problem remained. I purchased an original fan switch and the fan operated when the heat rises. However, yesterday I noticed that the temperature meter was fluctuating from cold rising to almost three quarter in cold weather and then falls to the middle and straight down to cold. At the time of parking the vehicle the fan was running and the temperature meter on the guage indicated cold. I also noticed that if the heater is on after a while it blows cold air. Please assist.
Orgie

Try replacing the thermostat it controls the engine temperature or try running it w/o it and see what happens