PASS POWER WINDOW WON'T GO UP FR

2001 Oldsmobile Silhouette

2001 Oldsmobile Silhouette 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 115000 miles

My pass side power window won't go up from either the pass or drivers side controls although both will lower it. I jumped power directly to the motor and it will go up and down. How do I troubleshoot?
JoeHennessey

Both the passengers switch and drivers switch go through the drivers side switch so most likely its the drivers side switch. Yes power and ground goes from passengers switch through drivers switch then back to the window motor, its odd but thats how its wired. If you want a wiring diagram let me know and ill look it up for you.

Mastertechtim
Replaced $93 switch. Didn't fix anything. How do I troubleshoot? /Jh

JoeHennessey

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/139033_coil_7.jpg

sorry so small picture. but if the switch is good then the only thin g that is can be is a open in the light blue wire from the drivers side to passengers side switch or a open in the tan wire. providing the switches are good. the dark blue and the brown wires go from pass switch to the motor and work on reverse polarity which simply means one wire is power in one direction and ground in the other direction,(vice-versa in opposite direction) a ohm meter on the wires from switch to switch should be the easiest way to tell the broken wire. **whenever there is a wire problem in a window circuit you can usually find it in the rubber boot between door and door jam. that wire is constantly flexing when opening and closing door and i would inspect drivers side first for the broken wire

Mastertechtim
SWITCH WAS GOOD. Unfortunately I didn't reconnect power to the motor after jumping it (duh). Thanks for the quick response, you guys rock! /Jh

JoeHennessey
So the drivers master switch fixed it? Thanks for the response

Mastertechtim
Tim, we have a similar problem. First the only problem was passenger side switch would put window down but not up. Driver's switch would still put it up, so not that bad (except when the husband thought he'd be funny in Bear Country, USA - another story entirely).

A few days ago the driver's switch stopped working on passenger window entirely. We ordered a new driver's switch (with passenger one coming in soon), but that didn't fix the problem. I took apart the passenger switch to see what I could find. One of the connectors between the tan/apricot wire and the switch has electrical tape like it was previously fixed, and the silver connector doesn't extend to the opening like the others do. It appears to be deformed.

My questions are 1) where can we get a replacement for that silver connection thingie, 2) is there a way to put it back on that is better than the black electrical tape used previously, and 3) could I get a bigger version of the wiring diagram you included above so we can look for a possible broken wire in the driver's side door?

You guys are GREAT, by the way!

Mycarsapiece
You can get the connections at most automotive stores. As for the electrical tape and short wire you can extend it using the same size wire and also use shrink tape instead of electrical tape. To make the diagram bigger from mastertechtim you can go to picture and left click, then click on save picture, once you have done that you can enlarge it using photoshop or paint to enlarge it

M_H_RITZEL
Thanks! I appreciate the info on the connection! We've fixed the window now, so I no longer need the schematic, but FYI I know how to zoom the picture, but the resolution was so low that it was unreadable. (It's a 14.8K JPG.) Have a great day!

Mycarsapiece
Sometimes when we post them they have diferent jpg's

M_H_RITZEL