3.1L ENGINE FLOODING

1990 Oldsmobile Silhouette

1990 Oldsmobile Silhouette 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 178000 miles

I tried to jump start this car in -30 degree weather. It would not start and had to tow. Eversiince then, it floods out and will not start. Both throttle body injectors dump large amounts of fuel. Replaced ECM and coolant temp sensor, no effect. Has never flashed any trouble codes. Inspected fuel pressure regulater in the throttle body, it seems fine. It will Idle very rough if I unhook one of the fuel injectors (only gets 1/2 the fuel). Please help
Roger buresh

Hi Roger,

Ok, lets see if I can get a better picture. Was the battery dead when you tried jump starting the vehicle? What did the garage do to the vehicle? And how long after before it started the dumping gas into the throttle body?

.

Obxautomedic
Hi, the battery was not totally dead when I jumped it. I think it started flooding out right away as I smelled gas the first time it would not start, the shop did nothing as far as I can tell. They said it would cost about 1,000 dollars to fix it, told me the timing was off, but I checked it and it is not. They told me the timing chain had jumed, but I inspected it and it was fine (took 2 days), thank you for your interest, Roger

Roger buresh
Ok, this may take some time.

First diconnect the injectors. Then have someone try starting it. Look at the injectors are they spraying or leaking? Also you will need to check the injector harness. To do this you will need a Noid Light, you can pick one up at any auto parts store or you may be able to rent a set and also a fuel pressure test kit.

If the injectors still spray and or leak you will need to replace them.

.

Obxautomedic
Hello, I unhooked the wires on the injectors, and they do not spray, Roger

Roger buresh
Have you been able to check the Fuel Pressure and the Injector Harness?

.

Obxautomedic
Hello, thank you for your help with this difficult problem. I only have had time to work on it on weekends. If I unhook the fuel injector wires, it does not spray fuel. I purchased yet another ecm from another junk yard, hooked it up, being sure to disconect power, and it still floods. Today I think I will go get the top of a used throttle body with injectors and presure regulator to see if that fixes it. Thank you, Roger

Roger buresh
Check the MAP Sensor and Crank Sensor. The MAP and Crank Sensors may or may not turn engine light on if malfunctioning.

.

Obxautomedic
Hello, I replaced the Map sensor, no effect. I am suspecting the Throttle position sensor, and will try replacing it when I get one. Not many fuel related sensors left to try, Roger

Roger buresh