DELTA 88 - BRAKE LIGHT ON

1988 Oldsmobile Other

My daughter has an Delta 88, 88 that she just had a rebuilt engine put into. Don't know how many miles. Now the interior brake light is on and warning bells are dinging periodically. She says she has to push pretty far down on the brakes. But she is not hearing any grinding noise like you get when you need new pads. Any idea what the problem is?

Thanks in advance.
Reneeb

Are you talking about the brake warning light on the dash? If so it sounds like there may be a leak somewhere in the brake system, the fluid is low in the master cylinder, and or there is not enough vacuum to the power brake booster. If any brake lines were disconnected during the engine replacement the brakes would also have to be bled. Any of these would account for the warning light and excessive pedal travel. Otherwise there could be a failure or wear anywhere in the system.
Hope that helps

Hyknrd