MODELS BROKE BELT,WON'T START

1992 Oldsmobile Other

1992 Other Oldsmobile Models 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 118000 miles

The clutch plate was wobbly and was being cut by the shaft.I didn't know that the whole compressor was loose. I was running the engine and my son told me the belt was thrown off, at the same time I saw the amp light on the dash come on.I tightened up compressor bolts and put the belt back on, but the car won't turnover. Have 12 volts at battery, but no cranking just one click and nothing. I checked fuses under hood and all were good. Didn't get a chance to check all fuses inside car, started raining.
Defender321

Could be a bad starter/solenoid. Check for 12 volts at the small wire on the starter with key in crank position. If it has power then the starter needs to be replaced. If none, then get back to me and we will figure out where it stops

Jack42
From small terminal/wire to ground I have power but only 8 volts, tried it different places in case it wasn't a good ground, while my son tried to crank engine. From POS. Batt term to small term/wire on sol, when not cranking have 12 volts, when cranking 12 volts drops to 3 volts. Batt term NEG to ground 0 volts when cranking, I think it should be.5 volts and maybe my meter can't read it. POS batt term to NEG batt term when cranking 11 volts. Every time he starts to crank you can hear the click at solenoid, then noting else. All lights working.

Defender321
Sounds like it could be a bad starter. Do you have 12+volts at the battery not cranking?

Jack42
Sorry, my mistake from pos to neg 12 volts, from pos to ground 12 volts. I'm beginning to wonder what the belt flying off had to do with it. Car started fine every time BEFORE the belt was thrown off.I checked the belt routing and everything ok. Could it be the timing?

Defender321
Did the engine get overheated when the belt came off? Other than physical wiring damage from the belt, there isnt any good reason except overheating caused the head gasket to fail and now there is water in the cylinder preventing the engine from turning over

Jack42
Oh God forbid, hopefully just the starter. Nothing overheated, car was only running a few minutes and I didn't notice a temp rise. I just got the starter off and have to take a walk to get a new or remanfactured one. We'll see what happens. Thanks.

Defender321
Went to a shop where all they do is starters/alternators. They took it all apart and bench tested, starter was fine. They replaced the solenoid for $15. The owner mentioned the ignition key has a chip and the wires might be broken. I'm running out of options, might be the ignition switch. What a waste of time, now I have to put the starter back in before I can start checking other stuff.I'll check battery connections again, next is tow.

Defender321
I put the starter back in and car started right up, BUT I'm back to the original problem with the compressor. This time it ran a few minutes and the compressor broke free and took the the two places where it was mounted with it. I was able to cut the lines and get the compressor out of the car. I would have to run a shorter belt but now I'm not sure where I could put a new pulley since I can't mount to where the comp. Used to be. Can I just run a shorter belt without another pulley?

Defender321