WHERE IS THE CAMSHAFT SENCOR

1994 Oldsmobile LSS

1994 Oldsmobile LSS 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 144000 miles

i have a 94 oldsmobile 88 royale lss that cranksbut wont start.I have replaced the fuel pump and tested the new one for the right pressure and all checked out good. I have replaced the main cumputer too. I can spray starter fluid and it will start for about 2 seconds and cuts right back out. Ive had the car for about 2 years now and sometimes it died when I came to a stop and hit the gas to go again but always started right back up. Check engine light would come on about 1 or 2 times a month and when it did it would hesitate at low rpm. (Only if light was on).I was told it was the mass air flow sencer and I replaced it and it seemed to fix that. But now the car wont start at all.I tryed to start it and it was very hard to start and when it did it ran really rough so I cut it off to start it again and it wouldnt start again.I was told its the cam or crank shaft sencor? Im hoping its the camshaft cuz its cheaper and I heard I can do that one myself. If its the crank sencor it will have to go to a shop. So im gonna change the cam shaft sencor tomorrow. Could you mabe tell me where it is located on my car? All the info you can give about what I said would be very helpfull! Sorry if its too much info im just trying to get this car right. Tired of fixing things that arnt broke.
Myles74

IS this statement still true:
"i can spray starter fluid and it will start for about 2 seconds and cuts right back out"

Try unplugging the sensor and try starting it.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/30961_lss_1.jpg

Yes it will start for 2 0r 3 seconds and will cut right back out with starter fluid. So you want me just to try and unplug it and try to start it? Dont plug it back in before I start it? Or plug it back in? And thanks for the diagram! Couldnt find it anywhere!

Myles74
Sounds more like you have a fuel problem rather than spark.
I doubt the cam sensor is the problem if it isn't getting fuel.
Hook up a fuel gauge and crank it. It must be in spec.

Ok I was told that the cam shaft sencor told the fuel injectors when to spray fluid. So I thouht that might be related to the fuel problem. But if it has to do with spark your right. And I hooked up a fuel gauge and I do have the right presure. So you thinking maybe the fuel injector are clogged or bad? Anyway to check them? Other than a nod light. Cuz doesnt the car have to run to check them with that thing? Thanks for all your help!

Myles74
Sorry I missed the fuel pressure is good part.
Keep posts on the same thread please.
HAve you checked for spark presence?
Are there any codes right now?

Have you tried a tap test on the cam or crank sensor? (Have someone crank while you lightly tap with a long screwdriver.

Check the wiring to the cam and crank sensors for any damage.

Possible ignition module on this as well.

I need to review this sytem regarding the cam sensor.

Ive checked for spark with a sreaw driver and yes they all have spark. I have no codes either. And I will try to tap the sencors to see if that works. All the wiring is good. Any way to check the ignition modul? And sorry about the extra post. One thing I forgot to say, when I do try and start it and it doest start all the insterment panel lights flash on and a bell goes off. If thats any help. Thank again!

Myles74
No problem on the post...just makes it hard to help.

Also try unplugging the cam sensor to see if it starts.
On this one it will affect fuel delivery. Also the coolant temp sensor can.
Please check for any current codes.

Dumb question but is there enough fuel n the tank....don't want to skip the basics and don't assume the gauge is right.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/30961_lsss_1.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/30961_lssq_1.jpg

Send me an email if you can't read this.
servicewriter43@hotmail.com
Keep all communication here however.

Doesnt the check engine light have to be on to pull codes? And I was told that I can only pull codes if I have a 96 and up? Mines a 94. Advance auto said I will have to take it to a shop and get a specail machine hooked up to pull codes on a car that old. And there is no way to get it there cuz it wont start. And yes it has about a half a tank of gas. Thought about that myself. And just unplug the sencor and try and start it? Dont plug it back in before I try?

Myles74
I unpluged the cam sencor and ttryed to start it and it didnt start. Did the same thing. What does that mean? Thats not the problem? Anything else to try?

Myles74
Codes may still be present regardless of the cel.
You need the correct scanner.

Try unplugging the crankshaft pos sensor and the coolant temp sensor independently.

When you unplug the cam sensor, the pcm use a last known data. Cam sensor is not the problem based on that.