SUPREME IGNITION SWITCH QUESTION

1995 Oldsmobile Cutlass

Ignition problem
1995 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme 3.1L 6 Cylinder Front Wheel Drive Automatic 167000 miles

The key cylinder has no springing action/resistance. It just flops around and doesn't crank the engine.

I noticed when I look at the side of the steering column facing the door and turn the key I see a little rod move back and forth I'm assuming its part of the ignition switch rack.

Part of that rod is broken, so it doesn't pull on the bottom half that is connected to a cable that runs down the rest of the steering column where I'm assuming its connected to the starter/starter switch.

I have the steering wheel pulled as I originally thought it was the cylinder and key that needed to be replaced.

I don't see how the ignition switch rack really comes apart though.

Was wondering at this point if it would be easier/cheaper for me to try replacing the rack or just unbolt the whole steering column and replace it with one from the junkyard.

My father seems to think replacing the whole steering column is the way to go, but I've already got the column in the car tore down to the ignition switch rack.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance and I'll try to see if I have anything for a donation if the answer reaps benefit.
JTKnight85

To replace the ignition switch assembly the entire steering column has to be removed anyway. So replacing column or replacing just the switch is up to you, either way column is coming out. Would you like replacement steps for your steering column?

Bluelightnin6