89 STARTS BUT WON'T IDLE, CUTS

1989 Oldsmobile Ciera

1989 Oldsmobile Ciera 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 89,000 miles

5 days ago, I got gas at a local station. About 3 blocks later the car suddenly stalled and wouldn't restart.

My neighbor eventually got it to start, but it only stayed running at higher RPMs with steady depression of gas pedal.

He ran diagnostic until the car stopped talking. We suspected the ECM and I replaced it (new ECM).

After swapping the ECM I got the same result. I still need constant pressure on the gas pedal to keep it running. Despite this it will still cut off sharply and has trouble restarting up until battery runs down.

Here's what I know:
I have spark, I have ignition. IAC functions properly and Mass Air Flow sensor seems to be in good shape. Again the ECM is new.

My gut feeling is that I have bought bad gasoline. The fact that the car will start from the first crank and stay running with constant throttle makes me think that the gas has separated from any water in the tank and that once the fuel pump agitates the gasoline, the water is being pulled to the rail, causing the sudden kill and difficult restarts.

When the car settles again, it will start right up again.

I've also considered the battery, but it takes a charge.
I've thought about he alternator, but my charge light does not come on when I do manage to get the car running.

The fuel pump has been recently replaced as have the fuel filter and relays.

All things considered, I still think I'm dealing with bad gasoline.

Am I possibly overlooking something.

This the 3.3L engine BTW.
Thanks for your help.
Civiltrends

Try testing the throttle position and manifold absolute pressure sensors also the EGR valve

How do you test throttle position? I don't believe my engine has a MAP sensor. I know it doesn't have an EGR valve.

Civiltrends
Okay. I did receive " check engine" codes 21 and 22. Obviously TPS.

The only problem I'm having is getting to the screws that mount the TPS. It seems that they are aligned to close to the upper radiator hose that runs to the engine. (Even if I remove the hose, the metal cooling pipe is in the way).

My instinct is to loosen the throttle body to gain an inch or two and then check voltage and make the adjustment.

I just want to make sure that the throttle bottle is only held on by the two bolts that I'm seeing it held on by.

Is that correct?

Civiltrends