CAR LOST POWER AS DRIVING AND WOULDN

2001 Oldsmobile Aurora

2001 Oldsmobile Aurora 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 98,000 miles

I was driving home tonite and the car all of a sudden lost power and started going slower and slower. It went from 65 to about 35 and I could have pushed the accelerator all the way to the floor but I could tell it wouldn't make it go any more than 5 to 10 miles faster at the most. The power was decreased by at least 80% I think. Going up hill it really slowed down. When I got on the flat again it speeded up a little (10-20 miles faster) and I headed for an exit then. It stopped fine at stop signs and started going again fine but there was no power when you stepped on the accelerator except: pushing on it at a normal level would only make it go at a slower rate than normal with it getting up to the speede limit of 35 but it took longer and again, no power. It feels like it wont go at a speed over 45 or so and definiteoly won't go uphill at a speed over 35. It sounds OK but a little " empty" sounding. No real audible engine noise that I recall. I need help fast ! I have to go to work in the AM and its' 25 miles away by freeway ! I'm broke too so if I can fix it myself, that may be the only way I can get it fixed.
Can anyone help me please?
Harriskathy39

Have you checked the catylatic converter to make sure it isn't plugged? Has the check engine light come on?

Let me know.