HVAC FAN

1998 Oldsmobile Aurora

Heater problem
1998 Oldsmobile Aurora V8 Front Wheel Drive Automatic 105000 miles

HVAC fan has quit with no warning. During diagnostics, found fan operating (I jumped the terminals with a battery and the fan runs). I then turned attention to the Blower Motor Module. Ran diagnostics as defined in Mitchell manual and all evidence turns to the module is bad. Found a salvage unit and installed. At first fan still didn't work. Then I found by jiggling the 3 prong pigtail, the fan will run (this doesn't work on the original module). Acts like a loose connection, which it isn't.

My sense is that the salvage unit I bought also has a problem, but because it runs intermittently, the problem has to be with the module / pigtail. Looking for confirmation before I buy a new module.
Jrbake

Can you open the junk yard module and see if the solder on the board is OK?

Merlin2021
There are 4 screws on the bottom of the module and 2 on the front. I took all 6 out, hoping to have it come apart easily. Didn't happen that way. Looks like I'll have to pry apart. Is this what I'd expect to find if I tear it apart?

Jrbake
It's either on the board or the connector end, but the connector you can see.

Merlin2021
I cleaned the 4 male prongs on the module and scraped as best I could the female ends on the pigtail. I also tried prying the female ends in an effort to make them as tight as possible on the male part of the module. My sense is that the problem is " behind the curtain" on the module. I did read a blog that suggested replacing the pigtail when the module was replaced to avoid this problem. Do you know if a new pigtail is shipped with a new module.

I'll try tearing into the module next. I'm guessing fixing it is not likely, just verifying this is the problem, correct?

Many thanks.

Jrbake
I think you can purchase the pigtail from the dealer separately, call parts debt.

Merlin2021