TURN SIGNAL IREGULARITIES.

2002 Oldsmobile Alero

2002 Oldsmobile Alero 168000 km

For a while the turn signals would work but when the switch was in the central position there would be a clicking sound from the dash it was often quite varied.

Now the turn signals have become iregular in their functioning. Some times they will not come on, other times they will work as expected and even weirder is quite often a solid hit on the dashboard right above the gauges will bring them back on.

Any ideas?
Kasuko

Does the hazard lights function correctly when the problem occurs?

If no, the relay or its connection might be the cause.

The hazard lights did/didn't work.

When I first pressed the button it made a serier of fast clicks then the lights flashed on once and then stayed off.

Upon depressing the button and repressing it they then worked as well as the turn signals began to function again.

Every now and then when the turn signals would stop functioning pushing the hazard lights button in and out a couple times would make them operational again.

Is this a faulty hazard switch or an issue with the relay or its connection?

Kasuko
Under such circumstances the hazard light relay is more likely to be the culprit.

Ok, as you can probably tell (largely by me using this forum) is that I don't know much about cars so I say the following only for confirmation as I don't like being the person who refuses to do things himself, but I also don't want to assume I am right.

I know what a relay is but I don't know where it is. I havent been to my vehicle since my last post to check the owners manual and I apologize for asking but I know there are relays on the fuse panels. Is this where the hazard relay will be? Will it be replaceable? Also is there a way to tell if its the relay thats defective before going and buying a new one?

Last question, are relays generic, will I be able to go to any car shop with the proper part number and get a replacement or am I going to have to go through Oldsmobile?

Thanks for all your help you guys are great. I'll be making a second donation for my repeated badgering.

Kasuko
Don't you worry about asking questions. If you do not understand about anything, feel free to ask. It does not serve any purpose if you do not understand what is going on and that is not going to solve problems.

The flasher relay part number is 10359040 listed at $ 23.39 and is incorporated in the hazard switch assy. This is a dealer part.

Thank you for such a prompt reply and looking up the part number for me.

Ok the hazard switch assembly is behind the steering wheel right? Now I am no mechanic but I am handy with tools and a real tinkerer at heart so taking things apart doesn't really phase me, but I need this car which is why I'm curious as how risky replacing this part by an untrained hand is? I'm sure there has to be something expensive in the steering wheel that can break and bring it from a $30 job to a $300 job or more.

My question is, am I looking at a layman's job or should I really be taking this to a mechanic which translates to me leaving it for as long as it'll last then probably getting rid of the car?

Thanks again.

Kasuko
No, the hazard relay is inside the hazard switch which is located on the dash. Replacement time is 1.0 hour. Here are the removal procedures. You decide if it within your capacity.

Removal Procedure
1. Remove the hazard warning switch bezel from the instrument panel (IP) using a small -flat bladed tool to release the retainers.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/192750_HazardSwitch02AleroFig148_1.jpg

2. Remove the IP center air outlet.
3. Remove the IP cluster.
4. Remove the left side bolt from the hazard warning switch through the instrument panel cluster pocket.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/192750_HazardSwitch02AleroFig149_1.jpg

5. Remove the right side and center lower bolts from the hazard warning switch through the center air outlet opening.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/192750_HazardSwitch02AleroFig150_1.jpg

6. Reposition the hazard warning switch to the center air outlet opening.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/192750_HazardSwitch02AleroFig151_1.jpg

7. Disconnect the electrical connectors from the hazard warning switch.
8. Remove the hazard warning switch from the IP.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/192750_HazardSwitch02AleroFig152_1.jpg

Ok wow that looks quite doable. Thank you so much this forum is quite remarkable. I will do this.

Just one more bit of information I learned. The switch to turn the turn signals on, if I move it a fraction of an inch away from center that causes the clicking sound from the dashboard non-stop. Does this still indicate the hazard switch?

Thanks so much again.

Kasuko
If the problem is affected by the signal switch, then the relay might not be the one at fault, rather the contacts in the signal switch might be bad causing intermittent continuity.

This might be repairable. However right and left signals feed the flasher relay through different source and if switching either right or left have similar symptoms, I would think the odds of the switch being faulty would be lower.

You mentioned banging the dash works, that would indicate the relay as it is located on dash and the banging judders the relay into operation. First check for loose wire connections of the hazard switch.

See the switch never faults in its operation though, if the turn signals are currently working then the switch works perfectly, there are no errors in the flashing and there is no sound when its seated in the center and the regular proper clicks when it is signaling a turn. Just when I move it away from center but before it starts the signals it makes the clicking noise in the dash.

But, when the signals are not working, moving the switch has no effect on getting the signals to work again, I was clicking it up can down back and forth quick and slow and they wouldn't come back on. Thats what seems to suggest to me (the non expert) that it is in fact the hazzard relay, but again I'm not the expert I just want to make sure you have all the facts.

Kasuko