WILL NOT START.

2001 Oldsmobile Alero

2001 Oldsmobile Alero 4 cyl Four Wheel Drive Manual 190670 miles

I have been having issues with my care starting intermitantly. It usually starts while I am driving that several of my warning lights come on, then once I shut the car of, it will not start up for roughly 1/2 hour. The problem is getting progressivly worse, meaning it is happening more often and is more difficult to get started when it does happen. I can not get it to start at all now, and I did notice that the key can be removed while it is in any possition. When I can not start the car it will not turn over, and there is no power in the car (can not operate power window, locks, dome lights etc). The Engine light does come on when the key is in the on possition, but goes out when moved to Run or Start. I am thinking it is the ignition switch, and or Key Lock. Any help would be appriciated.
Kevin6767

It does sound like it could be the ignition switch, but I have a question. Before it got to the point that it wouldn't start, was the check engine light on? Have you checked for ground problems especially the ground from the battery to the engine block?