RANDOM MISFIRE

1998 Oldsmobile Achieva

1998 Oldsmobile Achieva 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 69000 miles

I have a 98 Oldsmobile Achieva with less then 70,000 miles and have done everything in the world to get this car to run. When the mechanic hooked it to the computer it said random misfire. But I don't think the " mechanic" knew what this meant, because several hundred dollars later, the car is still not running. What could this be? And how do I fix it?

Thank you
Shanito

A P0300 Random Misfire code usually indicates a vacuum leak or bad fuel

Engine misfiring can be caused by worn or fouled spark plugs, a weak spark (weak coil, bad spark plug wire), loss of compression, vacuum leaks, anything that causes an unusually lean fuel mixture (lean misfire), an EGR valve that is stuck open, dirty fuel injectors, low fuel pressure, or even bad fuel.

A Random Misfire code usually indicates a vacuum leak or bad gas.

The car is still not running: Get a helper disconnect a sparkplug wire or 2 and ground it to the engine -have helper crank engine over-do you have a snapping blue spark? If so-you have a fuel related problem, check the fuel pressure to rule out the fuel filter/fuel pump/pressure regulator and listen to the injector/s are they pulsing or hook up a noid light. No snapping blue spark continue to troubleshoot the ignition system-power input to the coil/coil packs, coil's resistances, distributor pick-up coil, ignition control module, cam and crank sensors and computer Note: If it doesn't apply disregard it