CAR WONT TURN OVER

1996 Oldsmobile Achieva

1996 Oldsmobile Achieva 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 15000 miles

Had a problem with car recently. Was coming down interstate at night and car just lost lights. It never cut out on though acted like it would. After a few mins lights came back on. This happened 3-4 times before I could get home tho it never shut off completly. So I investigated and thought it was the battery. Replaced battery and now it wont turn over. Acts like it is flooded out when we try to start it up. Can you help?
Pepper30080

Hi: The lights shuting down could be caused by a bad headlight switch. Did the engine only act funny while the lights were off?

I need you to check a couple things. First, make sure the ground from the battery that attaches to the engine is clean and tight. Also, make sure the positive cable attached to the starter is clean and tight. NOTE: Before placing any wrenches near the starter, disconnect the battery. Also, I need you to check if the plugs are getting spark when the engine is being cranked.

Let me know what you find.