OLDSMOBILE ACHIEVA ENGINE PROBLEM

1994 Oldsmobile Achieva

1994 Oldsmobile Achieva 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 69k miles

My car had been kind of sputtering for a couple months on highway trips but we kind of ignored it. While driving one day it got real bad, when I would hit the gas half the time it felt like it was going into neutral. But it eventually died at a light. I towed it home and it would start but wont idle. It sputtered and died. Ive since put on a fuel filter (was told it could fix). Now it will run but if I let off the gas itll die. And while its running it sputters a lot kind of sounding like a lawnmower. I was told it could b something with timing. I have no idea what im doing.
Dumcheesemonkey

Has the check engine light come on? Have you checked fuel pump pressure? Also, this could deal with a clogged catylatic converter. Have you checked these things? Do you need directions?

Please inform me of any ideas that you may have concerning this issue. I have the same malfunction with my car.

Chugjam
I would start with the same questions. Have any of them happened to you?