NO INDICATORS AND SMOKE FROM HAZZARD BUTTON

2001 Ford Focus

All the left hand side lights stayed on after ignition turned off so disconnected battery but this did nothing. Then turned ignition back on and smoke came out of the hazzard button and now no lights at all.
Demps

What light specifically stayed on? Head lights, turn signal (amber) or brake lights or all lights on the driver side?
Check all the exterior light fuses to see if any are blow.
I looks like there is a short within the hazard switch to cause smoke.
Get back to me with more information and check the fuses. Ty

Ty Anderson
Thank you for your reply. It was all left hand amber lights that stayed on originally but now have no amber lights. Headlights etc are fine. Which fuses would I need to check as im not too familiar with whats what. Thank you again

Demps
Your owner's manual will tell which fuse is which. Search through them for any exterior lighting. Pull each fuse and examine for any blown fuses. Disconnect the hazard switch in attempt to open the circuit that shorted. This is to prevent any new fuse going in not to blow if the hazard switch is still shorted. Let me know what you find, TY

Ty Anderson
Thanks ty. Ill check fuses but as for disconnecting hazzards do I have to take the dash off. If so how do I do that? Sorry im a complete amateur. Thanks again ty ; )

Demps
Check the fuses first because that is the easiest thing to do.
I want you to specifically look a three fuses in the fuse block on the driver side dashboard. Pull each of these fuse out and look at the metal connected to each terminal on the fuse to see if it is blown (the metal in between the terminals usually has a s or z shape to it). Fuses are normally numbered. Fuse 48 its a 7.5A Fuse 59 also 7.5A and Fuse 33 15a.
Are any of these blown?
Ford integrated the hazard switch into the parking lamps, turn signal lamps and turn signal indicator on the instrument cluster so disconnecting the hazard switch will cause all of these not to work still.
To remove the hazard switch you'll need a flat head screw driver and a rag. Use the rag to place against the dash to pry on with the screw driver (reduces damage to dashboard). The black plastic panel surrounding the radio will need to come out. Once the panel is out enough you can disconnect the hazard switch.
Just from what you've described is looks like your hazard switch is most likley what is causing the lights to stay and then short out. But let me know what you find, TY

Ty Anderson
Hey ty hope all is well. Sorry for the delay but had busy couple of days. Anyway ive disconnected the hazzard button and the 33 fuse had blown so ive replaced that. Now what should I do next my friend? : )

Demps
Also ty on the white and silver block behind the hazzard button is a small scorch mark on the top. Thanks ty

Demps
Replace the hazard switch assembly. Then check the fuse(s) after replacing the switch and make sure their not blown. Check all the functions like hazard lights, turn signals etc to make sure all is working normally. Let me know.

Ty Anderson
Thanks ty ive got another swich unit so ill fit that this mornin, check fuses, c wot happens and get bk to u. Thanks ever so much for ur time its truely appreciated ; )

Demps
Your welcome. Talk to you soon.

Ty Anderson