ENGINE STUTTER/BUCKING

1996 Nissan Sentra

1996 Nissan Sentra 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual 151000 miles

Over the past few months, I have been experiencing occasional stuttering or " bucking" when driving. It would occur at various speeds, in all gears, and has slowly become a more frequent occurrence. I replaced the spark plugs, fuel filter. For a week or so after doing that the bucking seemed to stop. Because my CV boots had been torn and had lost lube (and I noticed some bad axle symptoms), I just today had the drive axles replaced and put a new set of tires on as well. After I picked up the car from the shop, I was on my way home and the stuttering/bucking returned except much worse as it continued all the way home, non-stop. The car never stalled out, but it was bucking so hard I thought it would. I did not return to the shop to have them look at it because they are specialty with tires, suspensions, etc. And do not do full engine repair so I thought that might be a waste of time. My main concern is that something has been done to make the problem worse, or today was just a particularly bad day for the persistent problem that just stopped for a short time and has reappeared. Another possibly important fact is that my check engine light came on a long, long time ago. I had it checked at the local auto parts store that does that code check for free. The staff person there looked up the code he got on his scanner and said that it was for a bad speedometer sensor. That didn't really concern me at the time as I hadn't had any problems with the speedometer, but now I'm thinking maybe it was misread or another problem has surfaced and already having the check engine light on has made me miss it. I plan on getting the code checked again, but would greatly appreciate any insights any of you out there would have. Thanks.
Evenfl0

I had a similiar problem, but not as bad, and mine actually did stall. The wires going to the spark plugs were bad, not the actual spark plugs. 1997 Sentra

Anomalychick