NISSAN SENTRA BATTERY PROBLEM

1994 Nissan Sentra

I have a '94 Nissan Sentra, 1.6L 4-cyl engine, 227K miles on it(a reconditioned engine was installed at 170K). The current problem is as follows: upon ignition the car starts and then there seems to be a 1-2 second drain on the battery. What is this? When the weather is cooler it does not seem to happen as when the weather is warmer. And it only happens after long stretches of sitting (several hours).

Here is some background info. In November, I replaced the fuel pump with a neighbor. We also replaced the fuel filter and the fuel pump relay. Everything was going fine. About 6 weeks ago is when the battery drain started. I replaced an inferior battery a few weeks ago. The cold crank level was extremely low. The charging system was checked by the mechanic and was fine.

Have any ideas? Would changing the sparkplugs make any difference?
Jkh