KNOCK SENSOR

1996 Nissan Pathfinder

1996 Nissan Pathfinder 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic

Recently I took my 96 Nissan Pathfinder into Nissan for service and they told me I had a bad knock sensor. I didnt want to pay them $1000 to do it so I did it myself. When I finally tore the engine down and tested the sensor, It measured good according to the Haynes manual. I did notice breaks in the wire insulation on the wire of the connector cable. Is it possible that the wire caused the code to come up or is a bad knock sensor just testing good with the engine not running?
Scott jash

It's ENTIRELY possible that it was the harness and not the sensor. On Nissans, we get more bad harness connections than we do bad sensors

James W.
Thanks for the quick response. One more question before I put it back together. There is only one wire on the connector for the knock sensor. Is this correct?

Scott jash
Yes, just a single wire. The sensor reads voltage to ground when detonation occurs. You can check the sensor with an analog voltmeter set on the 2 volt scale. Hook the meter up between the sensor and the connector and tap close to the sensor. The meter should " jump" .

James W.