ANTI-KNOCK SENSOR

1996 Nissan Pathfinder

1996 Nissan Pathfinder 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 113, 00 miles

Two sources tell me the anti-knock sensor is bad. The Nissan dealer says this needs to be replaced ASAP as a faulty sensor can result in engine damage. A very respecte independent mechanic says to leave it alone, no damage will result. What should I do? If it needs to be replaced, can I do it or is this one of those jobs best left to the pros? If I can do it, can you provide 'how to' information? Thanks for your help.
Garage Boy

If its detonating and not retarding the ignition timing it'll cause engine damage. Its located on top rear of engine changing it similar to pampers-see below Good Luck

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/12900_ks_9.jpg

I'm sorry for not being clear enough for you to understand.

My question why did the dealer insisted that you replace the knock sensor-Did they scanned the computer and it came up prior to you departing the dealership was the check engine light On? You also stated an independent technician looked at it and didn't agree changing the knock sensor-I'm assuming now that you want to replace it yourself. Locate the knock sensor as illustrated in picture above -unplug it, get the correct size open end wrench or socket and remove it and reverse installation.

Are you experiencing engine knocking if not, might not be the problem it has to be detected by the computer and the required testing to prove its defective. Let me know if further assistance is needed.