MODELS CAR STOPS RUNNING

1998 Nissan Other

1998 Other Nissan Models Manual 104258 miles

My husband owns a 1998 Nissan 200sx. We have gone through 3 batteries in the past 17 months. I suggested that it could be the alternator, he took it to Minekeh (sp) and they told him it was not (this was about 6 months ago).

He jumps his car, it stays running as long as I keep the gas going. While running, the windows, radio, ac/heat and dome light will not work. Once foot is taken off the gas it dies. Then makes an unusual noise. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Mimia

I think you have two or more separate problems. But before we dwell more. Take your car to an Autozone or CSK/O'Reilly and ask them to perform an electrical test. They will check the battery, starter, and alternator. Once the problem is diagnose and taken care off, we can start tackling the other issues.

*** From your description, this is what I think.
You said that you have to jump the vehicle to start, that means the battery either weak to begin with and/or not holding the charge or the alternator is not charging the battery properly. Either because the alternator is faulty or bad connection from the alternator to the battery.***

Now I have one question: While the engine is running, do you see the battery light on the dash? I await your answer, and in the mean time, I will look through my factory service manual for proper diagnostic. I will post tomorrow.

Zackman
The battery light does not come on. My husband is going to see if he can get the car checked today if possible. With it being the Holidays we may have to wait until Friday. I do appreciate all of your help.

Mimia
While he is at the store getting the electrical test, have him ask the to check the computer as well, if there is any code(s).

Happy holiday.

Zackman