D21 4X4 2.4L, 96,000 MILES, OIL PUMP

1988 Nissan Other

I found an oil leak on the oil pump, so I took it off and used gasket maker. The problem is that now it won't start. Is there a certain way the gears have to go? I didn't even know it was the oil pump till I got it apart. Now I hope it is not too late.
Bet1974

If you didn't put the engine on TDC it will never start, Why- the oil pump has to align with the distributor shaft and the rotor be pointing at the no.1 cap tower-you're probably 180 degs off at the distributor shaft.

I did finally get a book on it. The only thing I can't do now is get the timming lined up for the new pump. Witch part of the rotor has to point at #1 plug? It has 2 points cause its daul ignition. I put the timming mark on 0 and the rotor still wants to point to # 4. I figured I was 180 out so I turned the motor one full turn back to 0 (tdc) and it still don'd go in right. Am I going to have to take the chain cover off and start from scratch?

Bet1974
Try this put the no.1 plug wire at no.4 and follow the firing order, make sure the points are gapped properly. That don't work am afraid you have to go back in and realign everything by the book.

Thank you for all your help.

Bet1974