ALTERNATOR/STARTER

2000 Nissan Maxima

2000 Nissan Maxima 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 81000 miles

I bought this car used 4 months ago and love it. Had trouble getting it started the other day, but eventually it did. Once I got it started various lights started blinking on and off on the dash (seatbelt, battery brake light). Drove it to get a new battery (first suspect) because it still had the original in it and it died on the way driving there. Once I go the battery in, it is now starting just fine, but the light problem persists. I haven't driven it too much though. Any chance it is the alternator. The only other thing to add is a strange whirring noise (sounds like ball bearings maybe in the alternator) which persist for about 10 seconds on startup which it has been doing since I bought it. The dealer said he had three other used maxima's on the lot which do this and it was not an issue, just a common noise they make. Perhaps I should have believed him, but I got a good deal on it understanding I might have to fix something like this.
T_quinn

Have you repaired your Nissan Maxima 2000 Alternator. I am getting the same sound during starting. I also think it is coming from the alternator front bearing. The color of the pulley is slightly white and it is hot in touching.
How hard is to change the front bearing once you take out the alternator? Mechanics ask $400 to install a refurbish alternator.

Lgupta2244