WHEN I TURN THE HEATER ON I SMELL GAS

1995 Nissan Maxima

Smells problem
1995 Nissan Maxima Manual 135000 miles

i have had this car for almost a year and last time when I need the heater I smelt a litte gas here and there but when it was the summer time and the a/c was on I never smelled any gas but just recent I put the heat on and the gas smell was so bad I turned off the heat and rolled the windows down even though it was cold thats how bad the gas smell was
any help would be great I want to keep my kids safe and warm this winter.
thanks
Jvanhorn

Check your fuel lines for any leaks. Although, it sounds like it might be a faulty heater core to me. Leaky heater cores can give off an odor similar to gasoline. I would suggest having a mechanic or local Nissan dealer take a look at your heater core. If it does need replacing, it is usually a $500 job, but the fumes are not good for you (or your kids) and you can't put a price on that. Hope I helped. Please post your results and I will follow up.