LEAK

1973 Datsun 1600

1973 Datsun 1600 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 70,000 miles

Hi, I am looking at purchasing a Nissan Datsun 180B sss, I had a test drive of the car yesterday and it runs beautiful, the cars original, but the bloke mentioned that the car has a leak in the transmission, I had a closer look and it seems like its not exactly leaking all over the driveway but it gets a bit damp after it's been driven, is this goin to be a major problem for me if I decide to buy it and if so, what sort of problems could I expect. Thanks kev
Kevnicholas

Hi there,

If this leak is around the pan, it will normally just be the gasket, check the tail shaft out put seal and the oil cooler lines, if there is trans oil coming form around the bell housing this may be the front seal, this will require the removal of the trans, also there is I believe an " ring seal for the dip stick tube that may leak as well.

Mhpautos