SPUTTERS AT IDLE

2001 Nissan Altima

I have a 2001 Nissan Altima. Recently the car started to sputter at idle when warmed up and cold. No problems when driving at any sppe just when at idle. I have to tap the gas to keep the car running at red lights. I have replaced the plugs cap and wires thinking I has a dead cylinder or misfire. Now the service engine light is on and the car still has the same issues. I have ordered a fule pressure regulator and am replacing the fule filter. Should I consider any other options?
Jimtedora

Chk engine lite willautomatically store a diagnostic code in ur ECU which at least reflects what area of
the system is being affected. Get me the code and msg me. We'll go from there.

Kin chan
My car is doing the same thing as jimtedora. Did you ever get the codes for this? If my check engine light is not on will I be able to get codes to help with this issue? My thing is that it doesn't do this all the time and when it is running good it runs REAL good. It's like night and day. It's driving me crazy!

LT

Smoochie5
I checked the codes and they said - " multiple misfire.&Quot; Following the repair tree the first thing I tried was a new set of plugs cap and wires - still sputtered. The next thing was to replace the fule filter and fule pressure regulator - still sputtered. Finally the reference tree said to replace the intake manifold gasket - TADAA. That did it. The gasket was the part that cost the least gut required the most work to replace. Thanks for the input.

JIM

Jimtedora
Jim,
Have you replaced the MAF? That is the mass air filter. It is a problem with most 2001 maximas from what I can tell. Check out the maxima. Org website. There is a forum there that will give you ALL the details of how to replace your MAF. I just replaced mine 2 days ago and it runs better than new -- totally amazing. Let me know how it goes.

Randycacc
Jim,
Sorry, I read your post too fast. Still the info might be useful. I was referring to a 2001 Maxima but I see you have an Altima. The website I used was http://www.maxima.org. I wouldn't be surprised if you had the same problem but I don't know how similar the 2001 Altima was to the Maxima. Good luck.

Randycacc