IDLER PULLEY SQUEAL?

2000 Nissan Altima

Noises problem
2000 Nissan Altima 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 128000 miles

I get a loud squeal when idling just below 1000 rpms. I think it is the idler pulley but I'm not sure. It sounds like a bearing metal on metal high pitched whistle.

I did read that I would have to loosen the motor mounts and jack up the engine. What is the best way to do this. I don't want to bend or crush anything.

Is this something I can do myself and any step by step instructions, diagrams, pictures would be appreciated.

Mkling

Ok first are you sure that is what it making your noise? I am sure it is a bearing but it could be the alternator bearing or the tensioner bearing and so on. If you have a long screw driver or something like it use it like a stethescope and listen them by toughing it so the braket or what metal is very close to the pulley and on the alternator case and make sure were the noise is coming from. If it is the idler pulley with some help you should be able to replace it. Let me know what you find and we will go from there.

Racefan966
I've listened and listened and still can't pinpoint the noise. It definitely is a bearing though. I've used a steel rod and placed it against the alternator and the a/c compressor but could not hear the squeal through it. Could it be the water pump? I couldn't get the rod in there safely. Any other ideas? Thanks for your help.

Mkling
Yes it could be the water pump, using the rod against your ear is the way to listen for it. Did you check all the idler and tensioner pulleys that you could get too?

Racefan966
It is so tight on that side of the engine that I'll do the wrong thing and rip my ear off. LOL.

Mkling
Well then there is only one other way to check it and that is pull it off and feel and listen to it. Sorry it took so long to get back you we are having a lot of snow here in north idaho we got another 12 inches just today now I have more then 3 feet on the ground so I have been snow blowing and such. Thanks for you patience.

Racefan966
The squeal was the water pump. I came out one morning and there was water under the car. I went for broke and replaced it myself in about 6 hours. It's been almost a week and no leak or squeak from it.

I am now noticing a slight squeak from the alternator now. Could the belt be too tight? I have about 1/4 to 1/2 inch deflection so I don't think it is.

Lastly, I was feeling pretty good about myself and replaced the O ring on the distributor shaft because oil was leaking into the cap. The only tragedy is the little rubber gasket between the cap and distributor broke so I cannot put it in. Nissan does not sell the rubber gasket by itself. They say I have to buy a new rotor to get it. No after market cap comes with this gasket either. Can I use a liquid gasket to replace this? Thanks for all your help.

Mkling