- CAR DIES AFTER STOP OR SLOWS DOWN IN TRAFFIC

2000 Nissan Altima

I have a 2000 Nissan Altima w/72,000 miles. The car starts and when I come to stop sign, red light or slow down in traffic the car dies. All the dashboard lights go on and after the car dies I can immediately start the car again. This also has occured when making a turn and backing into a parking spot. I've had the following changed: rotor, rotor cap and distributor. The throttle body has been cleaned and oil and filter changed too. The battery has been serviced and the connectors to the battery have been cleaned. The car, when hooked up to a diagnostic computer, only once came up with an error code indicating that the distributor needed to be changed, but this didn't cure the problem either. I've been told that my spark plugs are fine and didn't need changing. When I drive the car on the highway it feels like I can't ease up on the accelerator at all at the risk of the car going dead and feels like I need a heavy foot on the accelerator to keep the car at a pace. The car's been to the dealership 3 times and I'm at a loss and frustrated. Help!
Ruthdotcalm

I have a 1996 Nissan Altima GLE with 109000 miles and it is dying at lights, stop signs. It was diagnosed by computer to have the cam positioning sensor replaced which is located in the distributor. We are going to replace the distributor but no one can seem to tell us if the module is included. Can you give us the number of the complete distributor with module? We also need to know the firing order for this automobile. If this did not work on the other gentlemas 2000 Altima do you have any other suggestions? Car also has a knock at lower end of engine does it need a new timing chain or belt?
Thank you,
cliffordt email to clc@tusco. Net

Cliffordt