TIMING

1971 Nissan 240Z

1971 Nissan 240Z 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 100000 miles

Hi,
We are restoring this car, it has dual Weber carbs, dual points. It runs but hard to start. When running timing mark is way off, maybe 20 to 25 + degress on pulley. When ideling and give it gas, many time backfires.
Rbajrbaj

HI there,

Thank you for the donation.

You will have to start by re phasing the distributor, get the engine on TDC No 1 and check the distributor alignment, to do a static timing test hook up a test light to battery Neg(-) and the neg (-) side of the coil, slowly with the ignition on and spark plugs out slowly turn the engine and watch the light as the point open the light will come on, turn the engine until you are approaching TDC and when the light comes on check where the timing mark is, this will be you static timing, so if it is out just a bit turn the distributer a touch and re try, if out a lot you will have to re set the distributor drive to get it closer so that you can do the fine static adjustment, when this is firing at the correct deg before TDC you can then run and do a dynamic timing adjustment.

Mhpautos
Hi,
Thanks, I know the basic, what I need to know is what is the degree to set on damper pulley. 240Z 1971, using (2) Weber carbs, and dual point distributer, Car runs with degree maybe 20 + degrees off pulley mark, and backfires.

Rbajrbaj
The only timing I can find for this is 17Deg BTDC but you can set it with a vacuum gauge, set the timing to Max manifold vacuum at idle, this is always a good place to start, who were the Weber's set up, are they DCOE'S have they been balanced correctly.

Mark

Mhpautos
Hi,
My dual carbs are Weber 32/36 DGV, bench rebuilt and set to Weber spec's. Balanced by ear, looking for equipment balancer, unless to expensive. Jets 165, and 160. Point setting?
Thanks Bob

Rbajrbaj