MODELS BOILING RESOVIOR

2000 Mitsubishi Other

Engine Cooling problem
2000 Other Mitsubishi Models 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 130000 miles

I have a 2000 Mitsubishi Montero Sport and I just as I pulled up into the driveway this afternoon, there was this boiling sound under the hood. I lifted it and found the coolant overflow resovior boiling almost to the top. It now went back down to the max fill line. My truck showed no signs of overheating, even though I live in Arizona and it's 111 today and I've been running errands for three hours. I just paid a mechanic to drain and replace fluid in my radiator and do a thorough tune-up. What do you think the problem may be? Oh, the coolant is dark also and there is a burning smell.
Luvstrwberry

Hi luvstrwberry,

Thank you for the donation.

Since you have replaced the coolant, there are a few items I would suggest checking if the problem persists.

1. Radiator cap, replace if rubber seals seems worn.
2. Thermostat.
3. Clutch fan. Check for freewheeling when engine is warm, it could be due to lack of fluids inside fan.