OIL LEAK SEEMS TO BE COMING OUT THE

1999 Mitsubishi Montero

1999 Mitsubishi Montero 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 107000 miles

'99 Montero sport. Just started leaking oil. Seemingly out of the bottom of the transmission bell housing. However the oil is everywhere underneath the vehiclce. Have no idea where the leak is really coming from, or what may be causing it. I was driving one day, and the oil light came on. When I got home, the oil on the dipstick was empty! I them refilled the oil with six qts. And figured that would do the trick, it has not stopped leaking oil since, both when parked and in motion. As you probably know, it is very difficult to get repair manuals for this particular vehicle. So I am very curious as to what may be the problem with it.
- Thank you
Alex Turner

Hi there,

If there is no other signs of oil leaking, I would be considering the rear main oil seal on the back of the crankshaft, if these fail they can leak large amounts of oil.

Mhpautos