REMOVAL

1998 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution

1998 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 4 cyl All Wheel Drive Manual NA miles

I have a EVO VI JDM engine that I am using in an off-road application. The engine is not in a car. I want to remove the transmission, clutch housing, and transaxle assemblies, however, after removing all bolts, nothing will separate. The car manuals are useless, giving advice like " put a jack under the transmssion and remove it from the car". I cannot separate the cases at all, it's as if they are one single unit, which of course, they are not. What am I missing? It's a good transmission and I don't want to destroy it getting it off the engine.
JamesWolfe

Naturally the first question is going to be, do you have " all" the bell housing bolts out? There should be 4 in from the bell housing side and 2 from the engine side.
If that's all OK, there should be 2 aligning dowels that come from the block into the bell housing. You may or maynot see them from the trans side. With a large drift pin or punch, give the heads of these dowel pins a good rap. This should give you enough of a gap to get a screwdriver in between and " wobble" them apart.

James W.